Sunday, August 31, 2008

Family Tree

My father ( Yusuf bin Mahmud) of 86 years old, relating our family tree using a family tree diagram.

Yesterday ( 31/8) my father organised a 'majlis tahlil' or a ' tahlil' ceremony held in remembrance of our departed ones. My father hold this ceremony annually before the fasting month of Ramadan.
In the tahlil ceremony, recital of short verses of the Quran , salutations to our Prophet Mohammed and prayers are said as we ask forgiveness and blessings of the Almighty for the departed souls.
After the ceremony, where we invited close friends and relatives to attend, we gathered around him to listen him talk of our family tree by way of a family tree diagram written in 1927 in Sambas.
As told, our great great great grand father was from Sambas, Indonesia. He was a landlord in the province of Sambas,Indonesia. His name was Tuan Haji Abdul Khatib. Apparently he had five wives. My father's lineage came from one of Khatib's sons by the name of Abdul Rahim who bore a son named Mahmud ( my father's father). My father in turn had fathered thirteen children of which eleven are still living. My eldest sister have eight grand children and me one grand daughter so far from my eldest son.

No comments: