Friday, July 3, 2009

Battered chicken or "Ayam Penyek"

I know of buttered prawns. What about battered chicken? Secrets out. I just discovered a new dish in town but was told that it has been introduced just a few months ago. The menu's specialty is deep fried chicken breast that is battered or in the local lingo 'Penyek" in Malay to mean hit hard and flattened. It is served with rice and a small bowl of soup. A selection of fresh vegetables and leaves ( long beans, young tapioca leaves, white cabbage) are added as salad. Now the last and most important thing ( to me) was the red sauce of which the formula is not disclosed due to trade secrets . Anyway I bet that there were tomatoes, chillies, onions and shrimp paste ( Belacan) that made part of the magical formula. As is customary here the best way to eat the dish is with your right hand and fingers. Its just finger-licking good. A lunch set above costs RM 6.00 , drinks aside.
P.S. Have a nice weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

Mmmm, I just had my lunch but indeed now I am very hungry after reading this post and seeing this picture.;))
Sounds truly delicious, hope you enjoyed it.;))

thrasher115 said...

heheh actually its not ayam penyek or battered chicken hehe..the actual term is Ayam Penyet..penyet menaulam ulaman,thats why the chicken is prepared with ulaman and sambal hehe