1) Collect firewood from a nearby sawmill that was located on the opposite side of the river. It required me and my brothers to paddle a small boat . A frightening experience when the boat was loaded and had to navigate the waves from passing ships . Never did our boat collide or sank. Thanks to the Almighty.
2) Sell cakes & ice cream which entailed me to walk for miles around the village or town . Over the years became knowledgeable about Who's Who in the village or town, especially those with spending power.
3) Water plants,sweep garden floor and help burn garden debris - almost on daily basis.That could be how I was indoctrinated into gardening. Green fingers are created young. Did Confucius say that??
4) Shopping for emergency supplies- cigarettes, sugar, milk, flour, fruits, etc
5) AOB - carry out miscellaneous errands like collect clothes from working bachelors who contracted out their laundry washing to my mother. Then send back the clothes cleaned and ironed .
'Just Having Fun ' Category list of activities:
1) Swimming in the river
2) Fishing by the stream or river
3) Bicycling around town or village
4) Play football or badminton and other traditional games e.g. kite flying and marbles,
5) Play hide and seek
6) Shoot birds and mudskippers using catapult
7) Play see-saw and swing at the only public park in town
Reflecting on my childhood days I think I had my share of the fun days as well as the 'hard' days.
More of the former than the latter. I guess -Kids just wanna have fun.